Technologies building on top of XML
- a notation for trees is not enough...
The real force of XML is generic languages and tools!
Each of these issues will be described later.
- - to avoid name clashes when a document uses several "sub-languages"
- schemas (grammars)
- - to define classes of documents (DTD is not good enough...)
- linking between documents
- - a generalization of HTML anchors and links
- addressing parts of documents
- - it is not enough that only the author can place anchors
- - conversion from one document class to another
- - extraction of information
Other related technologies (not covered here):
- RDF (Resource Description Framework)
- - a framework for
metadata (statements about properties and relationships)
- - digital signatures of Web resources
- XML Fragment Interchange
- - dealing with fragments of XML documents