Problems with HTML links
The HTML link model:
Problems when using the HTML model for general XML:
Link syntax and semantics is not defined separately from rest of HTML:
HTML links are just too simple:
- In HTML, links are recognized by element names (A, IMG, ..)
- we want a generic XML solution.
- The "semantics" of a link is completely defined in the higher-level specification
- we want control of general semantic features, e.g. of link actuation.
- An anchor must be placed at every link destination (problem with
- we want to express relative locations (XPointer!).
- The link definition must be at the same location as the link source
- we want out-of-line links ("link databases").
- Only individual nodes can be linked to
- we want links to whole tree fragments.
- A link always has one source and one destination
- we want links with multiple sources and destinations.
- Links are anonymous
- we want human-readable labels.